As the premier urban, public research university in Virginia, VCU’s mission is to advance knowledge and student success through its commitments to:
- an engaged, learner-centered environment that fosters inquiry, discovery and innovation in a global setting;
- research that expands the boundaries of new knowledge and creative expression and promotes translational applications to improve human health;
- interdisciplinary collaborations that bring new perspectives to complex problems and mobilize creative energies that advance innovation and solve global challenges;
- health care that strives to preserve and restore health for all people, to seek the cause and cure of diseases through groundbreaking research, and to educate those who serve humanity;
- diversity that provides a climate of inclusion, a dedication to addressing disparities wherever they exist, and an opportunity to explore and create in an environment of trust;
- sustainable, university-community partnerships that enhance the educational, economic and cultural vitality of the communities VCU serves in Virginia and around the world.
VCU will be a premier urban, public research university distinguished by its commitment to:
- the intellectual and academic success of a diverse student body;
- research and discovery that advances knowledge, inspires creativity and improves human health;
- the global engagement of students, faculty and staff that transforms lives and communities.
- Accountability – committing to the efficient and transparent stewardship of our resources to achieve institutional excellence.
- Achievement – ensuring distinction in learning, research and scholarly pursuits, service, and patient care.
- Collaboration – fostering collegiality and cooperation to advance learning, entrepreneurship, and inquiry.
- Freedom – striving for intellectual truth with responsibility and civility, respecting the dignity of all individuals.
- Innovation – cultivating discovery, creativity, originality, inventiveness, and talent.
- Service – engaging in the application of learning and discovery to improve the human condition and support the public good at home and abroad.
- Diversity – ensuring a climate of trust, honesty and integrity where all people are valued and differences are recognized as an asset.
- Integrity – adhering to the highest standards of honesty, respect and professional and scholarly ethics.
Our strategic plan continues to provide a framework for capitalizing on the outstanding assets that form the VCU experience — a commitment to educational quality, an environment that embraces diversity, an evolving research program with substantial increases in extramural funding, pre-eminent academic programs, an engaged community and a growing alumni base.
Refocused themes and goals 2015-17
Click here to download a PDF version.
Become a leader among national research universities in providing all students with high-quality learning/living experiences focused on inquiry, discovery and innovation in a global environment
Goals and strategies:
- Recruit and retain talented and diverse students who will graduate at a higher rate than our Quest peers and serve as leaders in a well-educated workforce
- Providing the full range of 21st century advising infrastructure and tools
- Enhancing undergraduate degree progression
- Expanding our investment in financial aid and support programs
- Ensuring high impact educational experiences for all students
- Recruit and retain progressive and diverse faculty, staff and senior leadership with the skills and talents to advance quality teaching and learning, along with high-impact research, scholarship and creative expression
- Strategic investment in selected high-quality academic programs to strengthen their national prominence
- Selective investment in academic programs, institutes and centers that focus on challenges in urban environments
- Development and investment in infrastructure and activities for faculty and staff that value institutional goals of diversity, excellence and continuous improvement
Attain distinction as a fully integrated urban, public research university through contributions in human health, research, scholarship and creative expression that advance knowledge and enhance the quality of life
Goals and strategies:
- Increase high-impact research, scholarship and creative expression
- Improving infrastructure for patent filing
- Increasing the number of faculty nominated for membership in national academies
- Grow and support the next generation of researchers, artists and scholars who will focus on the discovery of new knowledge that advances the human experience and quality of life
- Grow training-specific resources through the mechanisms of extramural training grants
- Increase interdisciplinary research and interprofessional education, scholarship and practice among arts, humanities and sciences
- Expanding and enhancing the contribution of institutes and centers (ICs) to VCU’s research enterprise
- Maintaining the regional and national distinctiveness of VCU research
- Enhancing the infrastructure to leverage industry funding
*This revised theme integrates original Themes II (Attain pre-eminence as an urban, public research university by making contributions in research, scholarship, creative expression and clinical practice to advance knowledge and enhance the quality of life) and III (Achieve national recognition as a fully integrated research university with a commitment to human health).
Become a national model for community engagement and regional impact
Goals and strategies:
- Advance focused and strategic university-community engagement that addresses critical needs and opportunities in the region
- Leveraging university strengths and assets and address community-identified needs and opportunities
- Ensuring all students have access to innovation/entrepreneurial pathways that support regional economic development, cultural vitality or community well-being
- Leverage the efforts of our students, faculty and staff to enhance, integrate and disseminate community-engaged scholarship, student service-learning opportunities and outreach
- Embed, support and promote community engagement within university cultures, practices and structures